Sunday 29 November 2015

The View From Speedo Mick's Seat

Everton FC - The View From My Seat

The View From Speedo Mick's Seat



This week I got in touch with the very inspiring and daring Michael Cullen, aka Speedo Mick. As I'm sure everyone is now aware due to the fantastic support Michael has, he stands proud in all weathers in his Speedo trunks at all Everton fixtures raising money for Woodlands Hospice Trust.

After weeks of seeing Michael appearing here, there and everywhere in his inspiring quest to raise money for his cause, I was intrigued to find out exactly what his opinions and thoughts were on our beloved Everton. 

Firstly I'd like to thank Michael for taking time out of his busy schedule to not only respond to my message but to answer the few questions I had for him, it's greatly appreciated. I hope this article can go some way to expanding further the journey of the man in the Speedo's and hopefully see a few more pounds hit the charities fund.



My first question was whether Michael rated Roberto Martinez, his response was... 

"I do rate Martinez, with very very limited resources I think that he has compiled one of the best sides in the Premiership. I respect the fact that he plays his football, pass and move although I'm not always happy with that tactic as we don't always do the moving part very well. We could do much worse than Roberto and that's a fact"



I agree with you Michael, I think when you look at the financial state of the club to have managed to build a squad that includes Lukaku, Deulofeu, McCarthy and Barry, it's not bad at all. For me I think the most important work Roberto has done is keep Stones, Coleman, Baines, Barkley and others at the club when there has been definite interest from a lot of clubs who play regularly in Europe. 

I was interested to know what Michael thought about when we're due a league title, getting ahead of ourselves maybe at the minute, but as I write this Leicester City are topping the table so anythings possible!

"As far as winning the title, I think we will be waiting a while for that one because of the shortage of funds. But we live in hope, we Everton supporters always live in hope no matter what we agree or don't agree with that's going on at the club"

You're probably right there, it would be quite something for us to lift the title in the near future, but stranger things have happened, we can dream! I think with the current state of the Premier League, the top 4 is wide open this season and it's there for OUR taking. If we can tighten up defensively and continue our fantastic scoring form then there's no reason we can't be right in the mix.   

The most inspiring thing for me at the moment as an Evertonian, is when I look at our teamsheet and see the likes of Stones, McCarthy, Barkley, Deulofeu and Lukaku. I truly believe we have an exciting future ahead. If we can finish in a European spot this season who knows where that will take us? It would mean we can keep hold of our young stars again, knowing they will be playing European football with Everton. It will attract other quality players to bolster the squad and help us financially. 

Michael said "I really believe we have the best side we've had for decades and we can certainly win a cup this year"

Agreed!! I'm only 29, the days of league titles and cup triumphs unfortunately missed me... Just! The 1995 FA Cup win is the only glory we've had during my era. So for me I 100% agree with Michael, on paper at the moment we have the best Everton squad I've seen. I truly believe we can achieve great things in the near future.



A disappointing draw away at Bournemouth yesterday but a victory midweek at Middlesbrough in the cup and then bounce back with a league win at Goodison against the inform Palace and all is good again! 

I hope as always you have enjoyed this read and I'm on all the usual social media, happy to receive any thoughts, opinions and feedback. Massive thanks again to Michael Cullen for taking time to answer my questions and please donate to The Woodlands Hospice Trust, a very deserved recipient of all Michael's hard work. Use the link below to give whatever you can :)

Just Giving - Speedo Mick!

Facebook - Everton FC - The View From My Seat

Twitter - @David_JS6

Google+ David Shaul


No comments:

Post a Comment